Sunday 1 November 2015

How to make DIY Whisper Phones



Whisper Phones, or Phonics Phones, are a fantastic way for kids to practise reading. When reading quietly into the phone, they can hear themselves echoed back. This allows them to pay special attention to tone, pronunciation, pace and fluidity, especially when reading in a second language. These phones are easy to assemble.

You will need:
1) 3/4″ PVC pipe
2) 3/4″ elbow joints (2 elbow joints for each phone) you can also use 1/2“ PVC pipe and elbow joints if you prefer.
3) Optional: patterned or coloured duct tape

To make the phones, cut the long PVC pipe into 4”  inch sections. My school has a fabulous caretaker who was kind enough to do this for me. Then twist on an elbow joint onto the ends of the pipe. Lastly, wrap fun duct tape around the centre.

Originally, the feedback that I got from my kiddoes was that the phones were too long. It's easy enough to get them cut a little smaller to fit your students' heads, even if you've already assembled and wrapped them. Now that they are a perfect size for little heads, my kids use them frequently in my Read to Self centre. One little boy told me that it helps him to hear his own voice because he can fix mistakes and slow down his reading. Win! DIY 1: Expensive store-bought phonics phones 0!




No comments:

Post a Comment